The colour palette

For your Wargames Wittering
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Re: The colour palette

Post by goat major »

I like a palette of complementary tones but don’t choose deliberately bright or dull colours just whatever seems right.
Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor
Ilkley Old School
PurpleBot

Post by Ilkley Old School »

I am glad the Act if Kindness episode of Callan was in colour.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 3251198455
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Funnily enough the Callan film was on over the weekend!
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

Wot Fred said. Any peasant levy might have a few chaps whose tunics have been dyed, but unless its done by a trained and knowledgeable artisan, the dye will fade and wash out quickly. Many of those veggie dyes will turn a pale sort of shit brown within a year. On the Bolivian altiplano almost all the poor people have a poncho made of greasy wool died with a sort of cochineal derived from a lowland beetle. They start off a sort of brick red and fade to a reddish brown in a year. Mine looks like cammo for the red dirt of the altiplano. I would guess that throughout the pointy sticks period, that poncho would be as bright as any levy would use.
Penda
Gaynor

Post by Penda »

It's not just figure colours though, bases come into the consideration too. Most you see in pictures or at events are often too dark. Lighter bases lift the figures I find and to some extent compensate for earth shades in clothing. Generally though the smaller the figure the brighter the colours need to be. Best advice I ever had on painting and from a professional artist.
There is no point in being stupid if you don't show it!

www.talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk
www.talesfromrhanzlistan.blogspot.co.uk
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Yes, this.

I changed my bases colour to a beige with a thin brown wash, and I think it looks much much better.
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

Wot the copper sed
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Penda wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:29 am Lighter bases lift the figures I find and to some extent compensate for earth shades in clothing.
As a rule of thumb, I would agree 100%. However, just to prove that every rule has an exception (except that rule of course), there's an American chap called Axebreaker (Chris something) who did some amazing AWI Perry riflemen on "waterlogged" bases that were really, really dark and yet showed up the figures perfectly. Damned if I can find his blog now.....
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Penda
Gaynor

Post by Penda »

His blog is called Bunkerhill. His figures are photographed against a dark background usually I think. I generally use light colours on my modest efforts, a wash of Steel Legion Drab, or Country Maple, or Light Earth Basetex. The static grass is usually light, except for Mutiny and Pendawar, I just thought it set everything off better.
There is no point in being stupid if you don't show it!

www.talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk
www.talesfromrhanzlistan.blogspot.co.uk