Bugman's Finest

For Loose Games & Shows.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Bugman's Finest

Post by Jeremy »

I've been working on and off on some fantasy rules for about a year now, and they're finally at a stage where they were ready for a test play, so I took them out for a test spin on the weekend. Apologies to those who have seen this before.

It is Emperor Karl Franz’s birthday next week and Davrek Kegstand has been tasked with making sure a supply Bugmans Finest makes it to Altdorf. Little does he know that Gorthag Thighbiter is in need of not only good beer, but some tasty meat for tonight’s braai around the Herdstone

‘In two days, we’ll be in Altdorf Snorri’ Davrek says to his Champion as the beer wagons trundle down the road. ‘Then it’s back to the Keep to the mustached love of our wives and some fresh Stone Bread’. ‘Don’t like it Sir, it’s too quiet Sir’ Snorri grunts in reply.

‘Bloody hell I’m thirsty’ Badrag grumbles as the rest of the army starts to pull ahead of the Slayers. ‘Perhaps I shouldn’t have been so enthusiastic about quality control sampling of Bugman’s Finest last night’ he thinks.

Unable to contain his hunger for flesh and ale any longer, Arjax Lungeater orders his Beastmen forward with a savage roar. Snorri’s keen eyes see this and he spits a curse onto the road and grips his axe.

As the Beastmen surge forward with savage fury, the eyes of Bollox the Shaman go milky and roll back into his furrowed brows. Clouds form and lightning arcs down into Davrek Kegstand and his sturdy Dwarves

As the smoke clears, the broken forms of two Dwarves litter the ground. Davrek curses and rallies his clearly shaken Dwarves. With a prayer to Smegnir, Rolex Goldfoundersson steps forward and a gout of fire erupts from his rune staff. The smell of roasting meat fills the air

‘Today we finally meet a worthy foe for a worthy end!’ cries Grimnir the Slayer King as Gorthag Thighbiter, his Minotaurs and Dim the Giant surge from the stone circle. Meanwhile, with a savage roar, Arjax and his Beastmen crash into the sturdy Dwarves.

Dwarven axes bite deep into Beastman flesh whilst the finely made armour of the Dwarves is more than a match for the bestial rage of their enemy. Slowly the Beastmen are driven back as Arjax is knocked unconscious by a blow to the head. With grim determination, Davrek follows up

The battle rages and swings in favour of the Beastmen as they tear into the Dwarves who fall before them. Davrek himself is wounded and they slowly give ground. Fortunately the wound is trifling, Smegnir’s light is clearly shining down upon him.

Gorthag urges his troops forward as Grimnir and the Slayers begin their death chant

Unable to help themselves, and with a drunken, incoherent roar of rage, the Slayers charge Gorthag’s formation. Grimnir himself seeks out Gorthag and their blades clash

Dying to a Dwarf, the Slayers account for many of the foe. Grimnir himself is slain and Gorthag roars in victory. In the centre, both sides fair badly, but it is the Dwarven force morale that plummets to zero and Davrek orders the retreat. Meat is back on the menu tonight!

It was a fun playtest and the rules seem to work ok. Lots more work and test playing needed before they are ready.
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Re: Bugman's Finest

Post by Count Belisarius »

That both looks and sounds excellent!
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Post by goat major »

Splendid game ! Lovely figures and great painting. Looks like you had a fun time
Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

Ta! Was fun playing and coming up with the silly narrative was equally fun
Last edited by Jeremy on Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Hall
Gaynor

Post by Tim Hall »

Terrific stuff. Excellent paintwork and I love the fact that you have not based GW stylee. (silly slotta bases) And Dwarves are always a brilliant army to choose. Damn, my fantasy taste buds have been aroused.
Rules? You ask me what rules do I use. No, I don't do rules.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

Cheers Tim. Yeah, slotta bases are a particular gripe of mine. Absolutely hate them!
valleyboy
Jezebel

Post by valleyboy »

That looks great, if a tad bloody!
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

Cheers VB! I likes my fantasy bloody!
World2dave
Jezebel

Post by World2dave »

Excellent all-round Jezza!
Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor

Post by Willz the Wargamer »

What a fantastic looking game, thanks for sharing.

Willz.