1757- a SYW battle report

For Loose Games & Shows.
ochoin
Gaynor

1757- a SYW battle report

Post by ochoin »

Tomorrow, my pals & I will fight a devised battle between the French & Prussians during the SYW.
We will be using a new rule set for the first time. The rules are a modified version of the Napoleonic set SHAKO. I'm calling them TRICORNE & I must acknowledge the generous support & sharing of LAW member RMD in my efforts to get them ready for battle. Thanks, Mark.....as well as nicking your ideas, I've nicked your rule set title.....is this OK?

The game will start with the troops in position.

The battlefield. The French, in strength, are advancing on 3 fronts on a small Prussian army on the defence.

The main French army, under Prince Soubise, advance with two infantry brigades, a cavalry brigade & several field guns.

A French flanking force of hussars, light infantry & 4 battalions of Etranger infantry threaten the Prussian redoubt & village

To the north, French grenadiers & dragoons move to pin the Prussians

Fewer in number, a well placed Prussian force stands in the way of the French advance.

Prussian re-enforcements in the form of heavy cavalry & grenadiers march to their assistance.

Much will depend upon the Prussians holding their eastern flank

The battle report will be posted tomorrow.

donald

BTW in case you think this unfair, I should point out the sheer mass of the French may be a problem. Plus they can only change orders to their 6 brigades via an ADC. They have 5.
The Prussians are also better quality troops, have 4 ADCs for their 4 brigades & have the benefit of a central position. Of no small significance, the sun sets on Turn 9 so the French, to win, most rout their enemy. Good luck to them.
I should add that I've mentioned to my French opponents that Frederick is within marching distance with an army (he isn't & will not appear). :twisted:
valleyboy
Jezebel

Re: 1757- a SYW battle report

Post by valleyboy »

ochoin wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:02 am I should add that I've mentioned to my French opponents that Frederick is within marching distance with an army (he isn't & will not appear). :twisted:
Its really difficult to know if I should laugh and clap in admiration or award you A Git :EB: for this statement :hair:
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

All's fair etc

Honestly, it taps right into the French talent, in the SYW, for faffing around & accomplishing nothing. If my opponents buy into this, then they deserve to squander the 50%+ superiority in men they have.

We'll see how it plays out.

donald
Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor

Post by Willz the Wargamer »

Fantastic 20mm SYW eye candy, thank you for a New Year treat. These photo have cheered up a wet day here in Devon.

Willz.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

Lovely, lovely, lovely. And splendid.

You and Willz are really messing with my head. I want a plastic army!!!!!

E
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

Essex Boy wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:12 pm

I want a plastic army!!!!!

E
It's so easy. A few quid & several hundreds of thousands of painting hours & you, too, can fight Borodino @ 1:50.

donald
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

:fp:
Spanner
PurpleBot

Post by Spanner »

Very nice indeed, mate. I like the nasty little twist you've added for the French. Don't forget the false dice rolls every couple of turns or so, to see if your "reinforcements" come on, and where. :evilgrin:
If "The System" is the answer, who asked such a bloody stupid question?
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

The Battle.

A game using new rules isn't a guarantee of fun - this game was an absolute blast!
Our rules worked a treat to produce a fairly trouble free, slick yet challenging contest. Indeed, so engrossed was I, I failed to take many photos.

As indicated, the Prussians, though outnumbered, were still formidable. Key to their strength was their ability to both change formation & move- an ability denied to the French.

Several units of Prussian grenadiers meant resistance was assured.

The most important feature of TRICORNE is that written orders were necessary....& to change them, an ADC needed to be sent from the static Commanding general to each brigade commander. Even at the ability to move at 18" a turn, this took time. And a rule that required a D6 to be thrown on arrival to see if the courier had arrived or been killed (on a '6') & failed to deliver orders saw 4 ADCs die. You had to think ahead in this game!

Needless to say, in a game involving movement, cavalry were vital. They could, & did, crush unsupported infantry but could also be shot to pieces by formed & supported infantry.

The French cavalry were ruthless & aggressive.

After much hard fighting, the Prussian perimeter was cracked. The surviving Prussians raced for safety.

It was Turn 9 - the final turn before sunset saved the Prussians but too late! the French had reached their objective

The Prussian army had reached breakpoint & disintegrated.

A rare but satisfying French victory (BTW Frederick the Great never came, but each turn I rolled a dice to pretend he might have next turn....cruel but in the end a failed tactic).

donald
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

I hope you're not going to say that the Swiss foot got crushed my the cavalry?