DBN Gaming

For your Wargames Wittering
Ilkley Old School
PurpleBot

DBN Gaming

Post by Ilkley Old School »

I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread for my continuing affair with DBN and its derivatives. This afternoon saw me try out the ACW rules using some 10mm figures.

I like these DB games as they allow me to play out a solo game in around an hour.

The ACW has always been one of my favourite periods to game as I, like many others, am one of the Airfix generation. I have fairly large 28mm armies but limited space at home has meant these have not been used for a while. Although I may use them for DBACW using 60mm instead of 40mm frontage for each element and use a 3ft square table for the standard 12 point game.

I am thinking of playing a solo ACW campaign using these rules and the old GDW board game a House Divided.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Re: DBN Gaming

Post by Essex Boy »

Splendid stuff, Mr Dudley.

E
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Would "Epic!" be the appropriate word?
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
World2dave
Jezebel

Post by World2dave »

Another good-looking project, and you've chosen the right rules for quick, challenging games.
Peeler
Grizzly Madam

Post by Peeler »

Looking good!
Ilkley Old School
PurpleBot

I am having a go at some Warlord Epic Prussians for DBN.

I am going for 2 ranks of 7 figures on standard 40mm bases. I cut the figure strips down and removed a musket and added some florist wire to create a standard bearer.

These figures are a cheap way to create armies for DBN.
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

Had I not already started 15mm I'd have considered the Warlord sets, they seem good value. Just a bit limited on types of units.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

and you know they will lose interest.
Ilkley Old School
PurpleBot

tim.w wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:11 pm Had I not already started 15mm I'd have considered the Warlord sets, they seem good value. Just a bit limited on types of units.
Back in the day I made Napoleonics out of Airfix ACW figures and used WW1 French with a bit of plasticine for the comb on helmets for Austrians.

I am going to use these for 1813/14 games. Thinking of painting Prussians as Russians and converting British Heavy cavalry into Prussian/ Russian Cuirassier using Milliput and plasticard. Quite exciting.
DougM
PurpleBot

Post by DougM »

Ilkley Old School wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:22 pm
tim.w wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:11 pm Had I not already started 15mm I'd have considered the Warlord sets, they seem good value. Just a bit limited on types of units.
Back in the day I made Napoleonics out of Airfix ACW figures and used WW1 French with a bit of plasticine for the comb on helmets for Austrians.

I am going to use these for 1813/14 games. Thinking of painting Prussians as Russians and converting British Heavy cavalry into Prussian/ Russian Cuirassier using Milliput and plasticard. Quite exciting.
That's not hardcore till you have discovered the mythical banana oil, and purchased 85 sets of Robin Hood figures to convert.

I have a memory of a lengthy series in Airfix Magazine, c 1974 or something, on converting things like ACW figures into Renaissance arquebusiers. (Though to be fair to the donor Airfix ACW confederates, there was a flat hat and below that could have been anything.)