Valour & Fortitude: a new rule set

For Loose Games & Shows.
ochoin
Gaynor

Valour & Fortitude: a new rule set

Post by ochoin »

I've set up for tomorrow's big game using the new 'Valour & Fortitude' rules:

The Russians need to push through the French Imperial Guard and take 4 objectives- numbers on their side if not quality.

General Raevski has a Corps sized force
Marshall Mortier has elements of Old, Middle & Young Guard:

Reserves will be committed throughout the battle

More tomorrow....

donald
tim.w
Jezebel

Re: Valour & Fortitude: a new rule set

Post by tim.w »

Ohhhh lovely!! Wish I was there. What are the army compositions in the rules? Looks quite DbNish.
Spanner
Gaynor

Post by Spanner »

It looks good, Donald. Will the show ponies stand up to the Russians?
If "The System" is the answer, who asked such a bloody stupid question?
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

tim.w wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:56 am . What are the army compositions in the rules? Looks quite DbNish.
I know nothing about DBN. The army composition is precisely what I use for 'General d'Armee'.
'Valour & Fortitude' stipulate 24-36 figure battalions - mine are mostly @ 16 figures. I've rolled back firing & movement distances by a third to compensate.
Also, my brigades tend to be 2 regiments of cavalry or 4 battalions of infantry - generally smaller than the usual for 'V&F'.

I *think* it will work OK though. Tell you tomorrow.

donald
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

Spanner wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:20 pm It looks good, Donald. Will the show ponies stand up to the Russians?
The Guard are mostly Young Guard who rate the same as Russian musketeers. The Middle Guard are similar to Russian Grenadiers. The Old Guard are certainly excellent but the French commander (me) has been given secret orders that the 1st Grenadiers & 1st Chasseurs (Napoleon's pets) are NOT to be committed. Heads will roll if they suffer a casualty.
I'm hoping I can use them to bluff the Russians & then move them off table if things get hot. That still leaves 4 battalions of Old Guard but Russian numbers should have some impact.

Overall, the Russians also have more cavalry & more artillery so it should be quite an even match.

donald
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

Looks splendid, Donald. Enjoy the game, and good luck.

E
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Nice set-up - do report back!
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

The Old Guard are certainly excellent but the French commander (me) has been given secret orders that the 1st Grenadiers & 1st Chasseurs (Napoleon's pets) are NOT to be committed. Heads will roll if they suffer a casualty.
I'm hoping I can use them to bluff the Russians & then move them off table if things get hot. That still leaves 4 battalions of Old Guard but Russian numbers should have some impact.

That's a nice rule, I'm going to nick that one. Do the Russians know this?
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

tim.w wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:58 pm The Old Guard are certainly excellent but the French commander (me) has been given secret orders that the 1st Grenadiers & 1st Chasseurs (Napoleon's pets) are NOT to be committed. Heads will roll if they suffer a casualty.

That's a nice rule, I'm going to nick that one. Do the Russians know this?
No, they don't.

There's a royalty fee for the idea but as I'm amongst friends, I'll waive it. :mrgreen:

donald
valleyboy
Jezebel

Post by valleyboy »

Looks like a good scenario
Maybe there should be a hidden clause - something like a double one (when dicing for initiative - if there is such a thing) Marshall Ney turns up and leads to Guard into the fray! :fp: