A notice from Mr Spencer Smith ....

For your Wargames Wittering
User avatar
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam
Posts: 9735
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:29 am
Location: Purgatory

Re: A notice from Mr Spencer Smith ....

Post by Jeremy »

FreddBloggs wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:45 am
Jeremy wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:24 pm
Why should the producer carry the costs for risks over which they have no control?
Why should the buyer cover the risks instead of the Producer?
In a lot of cases, the producer has as they have already spent costs of figure design, mould costs etc. Most times the costs they’ve already sunk in far outweigh your £50 pledge.

These days KS are often used to find the casting costs.
User avatar
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam
Posts: 9735
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:29 am
Location: Purgatory

Re: A notice from Mr Spencer Smith ....

Post by Jeremy »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:21 am
Because they are getting your money in advance, along with the opportunity to invest it and earn interest (which I no longer have for that same money).
I don’t think you know many small wargames businesses. They aren’t investing your money, they’re paying rent, buying stock, paying sculptors. And even if they weren’t, 5% is far more than they’d earn having the money in the bank. As would you
User avatar
Paul
Grizzly Madam
Posts: 4521
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:39 pm

Re: A notice from Mr Spencer Smith ....

Post by Paul »

Jeremy wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:31 am 5% is far more than they’d earn having the money in the bank. As would you
Agree with most of what you say...apart from this....this is wrong, you might want to avoid giving investment advice :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
User avatar
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam
Posts: 9735
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:29 am
Location: Purgatory

Re: A notice from Mr Spencer Smith ....

Post by Jeremy »

I’m not giving investment advice, but I’d love to see your broker who will take your £50-£100 (average price of a KS) and give you more than 5% when investing it for 3-12 months (average period of the current KS timelines)
User avatar
Paul
Grizzly Madam
Posts: 4521
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:39 pm

Re: A notice from Mr Spencer Smith ....

Post by Paul »

Jeremy wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:17 pm I’m not giving investment advice, but I’d love to see your broker who will take your £50-£100 (average price of a KS) and give you more than 5% when investing it for 3-12 months (average period of the current KS timelines)
I can point you at a current account and numerous savings accounts/bondsetc... off of the top of my head that give 5% or greater interest :D
User avatar
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam
Posts: 9735
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:29 am
Location: Purgatory

Re: A notice from Mr Spencer Smith ....

Post by Jeremy »

Outside of the current temporary peak in interest rates, that won’t ask for more than £100 and return your money within 6-12 months?

Please do
User avatar
Paul
Grizzly Madam
Posts: 4521
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:39 pm

Re: A notice from Mr Spencer Smith ....

Post by Paul »

Jeremy wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:22 pm Outside of the current temporary peak in interest rates, that won’t ask for more than £100 and return your money within 6-12 months?

Please do
Nationwide Flexdirect.....you have to use it as your current account and pay in £1000 a month (then use it to pay all your DD's etc.. as normal) ie. your wages but it pays 5% interest. :)
...or if you want a low entry savings account pay in £50 a month and get 5.5%, again from Nationwide.
12 month Bonds at 5.1% interest that you can start with £1

There are many, many options out there ;D
User avatar
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam
Posts: 9735
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:29 am
Location: Purgatory

Re: A notice from Mr Spencer Smith ....

Post by Jeremy »

I’m sure you’re right Paul. Fortunately I only paid for the 15 minute argument with you as all my money is tied up in KS.
User avatar
Paul
Grizzly Madam
Posts: 4521
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:39 pm

Re: A notice from Mr Spencer Smith ....

Post by Paul »

Jeremy wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:34 pm I’m sure you’re right Paul. Fortunately I only paid for the 15 minute argument with you as all my money is tied up in KS.
Yup I am right, as was Brendan when he said this:
BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:21 am but this was really stingey, actually I think it was less than 5%,
He didn't deserve to have his point belittled for no reason by someone using incorrect "facts" to win a discussion.

He was correct that, In this case with such a small price reduction, there is no benefit from pledging via KS, as you would have more money in 12 months by investing it now and buying the product at regular price on release.
Maybe that works on a moral level when backing start ups etc... but not for bigger companies using the site as a pre order system
Last edited by Paul on Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam
Posts: 3650
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:39 am
Location: left forum

Re: A notice from Mr Spencer Smith ....

Post by FreddBloggs »

Jeremy wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:29 am
FreddBloggs wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:45 am
Jeremy wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:24 pm
Why should the producer carry the costs for risks over which they have no control?
Why should the buyer cover the risks instead of the Producer?
In a lot of cases, the producer has as they have already spent costs of figure design, mould costs etc. Most times the costs they’ve already sunk in far outweigh your £50 pledge.

These days KS are often used to find the casting costs.

In which case, they might as well just sell sell retail and cast to order, and not pay ks costs.
Post Reply