ECW....Pike & Shotte?

For your Wargames Wittering
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Re: ECW....Pike & Shotte?

Post by Essex Boy »

I'm been trying to forget that.

I shall endeavour to keep my remaining free days in July free.

E
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

I'd be interested if anyone has tried these.i keep seeing them for a good price at shows. I have a very slow burn ECW project going with 15mm based for DbR.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingdom-Ours-w ... 1910777684
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

The 'Pike & Shotte' rules are not cheap. So before I lash out, I'll explore some of the free options.
I'll try to get a solo game up next week (I've just started a fortnight's holiday) using the 'Victory Without Quarter' rules.
If they are as good as they look, that'll be me sorted. If not, 'P&S' will get a run.

Thanks for all the help.

donald
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

Essex Boy wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:58 pm
Donald, I'll email you my copy of VWQ (which I downloaded some years ago - I don't know if they've since been updated, but I don't think so). And I've got a PDF entitled "VWQ meets Command and Colours" which I'll include - but I have no idea where it came from.

I'll also send you a free PDF of a set of rules by Howard Whitehouse designed for big battles. No idea what they're like.

E
Got 'em & many thanks.

Re; the TMP thread where I posted the same inquiry.
I don't want to be churlish & people try to be helpful. However, you do need to smile at the ones who ignore your parameters (eg "simple") & promote rule sets that are 50 pages long....& that's just the QRS. Not to mention the ones who when told you are averse to grids tell you that you can place (I'm assuming) many 100s of small rock cairns over your mat to show where the grids are & this will be ALMOST invisible. I've met drug dealers who are less pushy.

donald
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

I’m just astounded that people actually still visit PMT!

I didn’t think they’d been relevant for several years now
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

Jeremy wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:38 am I’m just astounded that people actually still visit PMT!

I didn’t think they’d been relevant for several years now
Well, it's still a place to go for answers. I got a lot more responses there & it was only the tmp thread that prompted this one to move on. 'Victory without Quarter' was mentioned there first & my qualms about 'Pike& Shotte' were also assuaged. I live in a kind of wargaming desert. From time to time, I really need information & internet forums are the place to go.

LAWS certainly has far fewer (ie none) right wing loonies but its also got a lot fewer members who respond.
You come here for the banter but tmp for the information- a statement not entirely wrong.

donald
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

In fairness, and despite being banned from it, I do occasionally glance at the Renaissance section of PMT because there are still a few English people on the ECW pages, and Daniel S for the European stuff, who are well worth reading. They are all at what I would describe as a "professorial level" in terms of knowledge and interpretation - certainly nobody on here comes close to them in this period (and I pride myself on knowing a fair bit about the ECW - as does Etranger*). On here, I would think of RMD and Spanner as "go to first" sources for anything WW2 and especially "DUKE" forces (Dominion, UK and Empire), I would probably put myself in that category for AWI, although again, I still visit PMT to check out stuff by 42Flanker and one or two others, but even there since the exodus of some of the older posters on that forum, I've noticed an increase in the "America, fuck yeah!" brigade whom you cannot confound with nuance (sorry, HMS P - you are obviously NOT in that group).

In terms of banter, we could compete with the Edinbugh Fringe on a bad day (The Fringe having the bad day, that is).

* Apologies to anyone else my "early onset" has inadvertently erased from the memory banks.....
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

I like TMP.

It often comes up close to the top of a Google search (for figure comparisons or rules info for instance), so it's very handy, and hugely amusing when stuff kicks off.

There was a post a little while ago where a chap asked if Americans are god's chosen people. I thought at first that it was a joke..........I'm not sure it was thought. Hugely amusing.

E
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

I zlwa6s found with TMP, the first 5 answers are great, Ater that be very careful!

And the reason I did not recommend K&P was knowing you were grid averse.
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

All good.
I may well have found a set of rules that agrees with me & if not, I'll be around bothering you patient chaps some more.

donald