Any subuteo collectors out there?

For trading your quality goods
tim.w
Jezebel

Any subuteo collectors out there?

Post by tim.w »

While not a war game, although the sets come with terraces so..

My neighbours husband passed away over a year ago and she's now parting with his things. He collected all kinds of stuff but amongst the hoard is a load of subuteo. There are a couple of rare teams I believe, Newcastle and maybe Southampton?? I have no idea about it.

If anyone might be interested give me a shout.

Paul
Grizzly Madam

Re: Any subuteo collectors out there?

Post by Paul »

Stop it!
I played in local Subbuteo league back in the early 1980's when I was at school and it was a big thing. My father gave all my stuff away I think when I was at University...as parents do....my Lego and now very valuable, Action man collection went the same way :(
If there is one of the common starter sets at a low low :D price .......................
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Tim - I notice one of the goals has suffered a classic catastrophic case of "net disconnection". In addition to the obvious physical separation, the net will also have miraculously trebled in size, thwarting all attempt to put it back on properly.

Paul - My parents didn't need to give/throw my stuff away. What my (much) younger sister and brother didn't destroy as toddlers - mainly as a result of my parents giving the stuff to them to play with ("Oh, don't be silly, they're only toddlers - what possible harm could they do to it/them?" :wall: ), my brother later took to school and gave away to his friends. My mother "punished" him by "borrowing" my credit cards and using them to buy him a load of stuff - mainly the Franklin Mint "British Empire" series of painted miniatures (I can't recall the others, but the first two were an Elizabethan sailor and a Yeoman of the Guard). She then intercepted my mail to prevent me seeing the bills when they came through; she knew I only had the card for use in an emergency, and when I asked about nothing arriving, told me they didn't send you bills if you didn't use it (she also used to work for the GPO, so knew perfectly well that what she was doing was criminal). I only found this out after the stupid woman eventually forgot to pay the bills and I got a County Court summons for the outstanding amount. I ended up being credit black-listed for a while. Oh, and most of the stuff she ordered for my brother arrived broken, but she didn't bother to report it or send them back. :x
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:30 pm What my (much) younger sister and brother didn't destroy as toddlers - mainly as a result of my parents giving the stuff to them to play with ("Oh, don't be silly, they're only toddlers - what possible harm could they do to it/them?" :wall: ), my brother later took to school and gave away to his friends. My mother "punished" him by "borrowing" my credit cards and using them to buy him a load of stuff - mainly the Franklin Mint "British Empire" series of painted miniatures (I can't recall the others, but the first two were an Elizabethan sailor and a Yeoman of the Guard). She then intercepted my mail to prevent me seeing the bills when they came through; she knew I only had the card for use in an emergency, and when I asked about nothing arriving, told me they didn't send you bills if you didn't use it (she also used to work for the GPO, so knew perfectly well that what she was doing was criminal). I only found this out after the stupid woman eventually forgot to pay the bills and I got a County Court summons for the outstanding amount. I ended up being credit black-listed for a while. Oh, and most of the stuff she ordered for my brother arrived broken, but she didn't bother to report it or send them back. :x
Happier days eh.....Oh...hang on!
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Yesterday was her 90th birthday. It felt like the perfect day to "out" her.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
MarshalNey
Gaynor

Post by MarshalNey »

LOL - I'm imaging the rage my kids feel for me.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

As Woody Allen once said: "Be nice to your children because they decide what sort of home you end up in." It was only later that I noticed he specified "children" and not "children and step-children".
MarshalNey
Gaynor

Post by MarshalNey »

Yep - unfortunate.