Louisbourg Vauban defences test build.

For your gaming pictures & links.
Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor

Re: Louisbourg Vauban defences test build.

Post by Willz the Wargamer »

I also have to decide how many cannons for both defenders and attackers.
There is space for 20+ cannons on the walls but I think that will be too many.

Stuff to ponder and I will do a paper work exercise to see how the dice roll.

Willz.
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Post by goat major »

This is a wonderful project Willz. Are you playing it as a siege or assuming the breaches are already made and therefore a straight up assault ?

I've often wondered whether Warrior are the oldest surviving wargames figure company (in theory original form, so not counting minifigs, hinchliffe etc)
Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor
Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor

goat major wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:38 am This is a wonderful project Willz. Are you playing it as a siege or assuming the breaches are already made and therefore a straight up assault ?

I've often wondered whether Warrior are the oldest surviving wargames figure company (in theory original form, so not counting minifigs, hinchliffe etc)
Yes playing the game with the breaches already made, I want the game to last 2 hours or 3 at the max.
I am using a very simple set of rules that I played with Paul Robinson at Kenilworth last year, just a few add ons.
With action and event cards to give the players things to enhance or distract their planning , the idea is to force them to play
fast, take risks and make quick decisions.

I remember visiting Warrior Miniatures shop in Glasgow circa 1978 / 1981 buying loads of the Jacobite figures.

Willz.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Willz the Wargamer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:12 am Do any retail stockists stock Warrior Miniatures? If so does anyone know of them.
I seem to recall from old issues of Wargames Illustrated that there were a few dotted around the country (one was in Glasgow, but that might well have been the actual "factory"). Of course, that was in a previous century! :0
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:32 pm
Willz the Wargamer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:12 am Do any retail stockists stock Warrior Miniatures? If so does anyone know of them.
I seem to recall from old issues of Wargames Illustrated that there were a few dotted around the country (one was in Glasgow, but that might well have been the actual "factory"). Of course, that was in a previous century! :0
Sadly they don't seem to be trading at the moment.

Willz.
Panzer21
First Base

Post by Panzer21 »

Willz the Wargamer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:27 am I also have to decide how many cannons for both defenders and attackers.

Willz.
The whole fortress had space for 148 cannon in embrasures but probably only 100 were mounted.
If you are working on the assumption on an ongoing siege that has made breeches, I think it would be reasonable to assume losses. Added to which you are doing say half or a third of the whole circuit. So say 33-50 guns, reduced by say 25% losses gives at most 38 guns available. Even at 1:10 that's only about 4 gun models, 1:5 around 8.......
Neil
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

goat major wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:38 am I've often wondered whether Warrior are the oldest surviving wargames figure company (in theory original form, so not counting minifigs, hinchliffe etc)
I think Dixon might be older (just).

[Edit: Just checked and it is - 1976.]
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Post by goat major »

Ah yes Dixon. How could i have overlooked their little squished pudgy faces ?
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Post by goat major »

although...... Lost Minis Wiki & TMP have Warrior as being founded in 1973 (not referenced though)
Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor

Panzer21 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:16 pm
Willz the Wargamer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:27 am I also have to decide how many cannons for both defenders and attackers.

Willz.
The whole fortress had space for 148 cannon in embrasures but probably only 100 were mounted.
If you are working on the assumption on an ongoing siege that has made breeches, I think it would be reasonable to assume losses. Added to which you are doing say half or a third of the whole circuit. So say 33-50 guns, reduced by say 25% losses gives at most 38 guns available. Even at 1:10 that's only about 4 gun models, 1:5 around 8.......
Neil
I am moving toward 10 cannons but 2 will have to be on the sea wall.

Willz.