Some SYW Hanoverian Cavalry and a Warburg 1760 Scenario

For your Wargames Wittering
RMD
Jezebel

Re: Some SYW Hanoverian Cavalry and a Warburg 1760 Scenario

Post by RMD »

Spanner wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:52 am
RMD wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:20 pm
Spanner wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:31 pm Nicely done, mate. I agree with EB about the maps, too. Inspired by the "Refighting History" maps?
Cheers mate!

Strangely, I have no idea what the 'refighting history' maps are... Is that a blog I haven't discovered? :)
I would have thought you'd have seen these, Mark. Great maps and good ORBAT info included. Pricey, but I indulge.

I can't see that pic either, but I'll google. :)
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

Essex Boy wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:45 am
RMD wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:19 pm
Essex Boy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:48 pm I do very much like these maps.

E
Cheers EB! I do them on Powerpoint and since doing the blog, I'm getting VERY quick at sticking them together! :)
Thanks RMD. I have Powerpoint on the computer but never use it. I must experiment.

Iain
It's a really useful tool for drawing maps and organisational charts. I learned how to do it thanks to Jim Baker's tutorial on the Fire & Fury site: https://www.fireandfury.com/extra/powerpointob.shtml
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

Spanner wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:52 am
RMD wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:20 pm
Spanner wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:31 pm Nicely done, mate. I agree with EB about the maps, too. Inspired by the "Refighting History" maps?
Cheers mate!

Strangely, I have no idea what the 'refighting history' maps are... Is that a blog I haven't discovered? :)
I would have thought you'd have seen these, Mark. Great maps and good ORBAT info included. Pricey, but I indulge.

Ah, the Charles S Grant books. I've seen ads for them, but haven't seen them in the flesh. Do his maps look like mine? :)

As you say, they're a bit pricey and for the most part I already have all the info I need to write my own scenarios, so I've never really felt the urge to buy them. I might be tempted if he does one for the Italian Theatre of the WAS though.
Penda
Gaynor

Post by Penda »

Nice little fellows. Another vote for the maps!
There is no point in being stupid if you don't show it!

www.talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk
www.talesfromrhanzlistan.blogspot.co.uk
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

I'll second the Grant books. Ridiculously expensive & worth every cent.

donald
Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor

Post by Willz the Wargamer »

Wonderful figures and map, thanks for sharing.

Willz.
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

Penda wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:02 pm Nice little fellows. Another vote for the maps!
Thanks Penda! :thumbs:
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

ochoin wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:01 pm I'll second the Grant books. Ridiculously expensive & worth every cent.

donald
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to try and find one when I'm next at a show and have a browse. The trouble is that my one-quarter Cardi* blood stops me from buying scenario books when I've already got everything I need on the bookshelf (and/or t'interweb) to make my own scenario for free.

* Cardis (natives of Ceredigion) are like Scotsmen with the easy-going generous streak surgically removed; possessing deep pockets but short arms.
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

Willz the Wargamer wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:09 pm Wonderful figures and map, thanks for sharing.

Willz.
Cheers willz! :moredrink:
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

Mark,

the Grant books are certainly centred on scenarios that are carefully tailored for wargaming. Very useful.
However, there's more. Taken in chronological order, they document the growth of his (+ family & friends) growth as a SYW wargamer.
Bare bones at the beginning, they add all sorts of extras - siege warfare, water transport, light troops, historical implications, campaigns - fascinating stuff.

I only own 5 of his books but you read & re-read them. BTW you virtually never see them second hand & then for outrageous prices.

donald