Airfix 1/76 Guards Colour Party

For your Wargames Wittering
User avatar
goat major
Grizzly Madam
Posts: 6558
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:32 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Airfix 1/76 Guards Colour Party

Post by goat major »

That ebay listing is in the original box so I think he won't have a problem selling
Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor
Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor
Posts: 1416
Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 8:29 pm
Location: Devon

Re: Airfix 1/76 Guards Colour Party

Post by Willz the Wargamer »

goat major wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:30 pm That ebay listing is in the original box so I think he won't have a problem selling
I understand some people want the original box but I have always thought that sellers overprice items.
I always look at items for a wargamers view as cheaply as possible.

Willz.
ochoin
Gaynor
Posts: 1567
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:52 am
Location: Brisvegas

Re: Airfix 1/76 Guards Colour Party

Post by ochoin »

Willz the Wargamer wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:17 pm I have always thought that sellers overprice items.

Willz.
As I've sold thousands of mostly painted figures over the past 2 years, I tend to agree. The seller often has an emotional attachment added to the price that will not be met.
But it also works the other way. Let me say, diplomatically, these Airfix Guard figures are, as figures go, not good. Worthless, even?
But factor in a nostalgic call to your youth & they're very valuable, indeed.

donald
Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor
Posts: 1416
Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 8:29 pm
Location: Devon

Re: Airfix 1/76 Guards Colour Party

Post by Willz the Wargamer »

ochoin wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:37 pm
Willz the Wargamer wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:17 pm I have always thought that sellers overprice items.

Willz.
As I've sold thousands of mostly painted figures over the past 2 years, I tend to agree. The seller often has an emotional attachment added to the price that will not be met.
But it also works the other way. Let me say, diplomatically, these Airfix Guard figures are, as figures go, not good. Worthless, even?
But factor in a nostalgic call to your youth & they're very valuable, indeed.

donald
I agree compared to what plastic figure manufacturers produce today they are not the most detailed
But I disagree about being worthless, I can see several uses for them not least converting the band figures to an ACW
union or confederate band aka Donald Featherstone :) .

Willz.
User avatar
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam
Posts: 9129
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:32 pm
Location: The wilds of Surrey

Re: Airfix 1/76 Guards Colour Party

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Willz the Wargamer wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 10:13 am The re-release of these figures are going to piss ( sorry urinate ) on his parade.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23552274279 ... olid=10050
I couldn't help noticing this caveat and thinking of EB.....

COMPLETE WITH ALL FLAPS, SLIGHTLY OUT OF SHAPE AT ONE END AND MINOR STORAGE WEAR.

I always thought it was a shame they never completed it with Scots and Irish Guards pipers and the Queen's Drummer + wolfhound.

And of course, having skipped the "SLR era" you can now trim the rifles to become SA80s.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
User avatar
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam
Posts: 6423
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:22 pm
Location: South Essex
Contact:

Re: Airfix 1/76 Guards Colour Party

Post by Essex Boy »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:03 pm
Willz the Wargamer wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 10:13 am The re-release of these figures are going to piss ( sorry urinate ) on his parade.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23552274279 ... olid=10050
I couldn't help noticing this caveat and thinking of EB.....

COMPLETE WITH ALL FLAPS, SLIGHTLY OUT OF SHAPE AT ONE END AND MINOR STORAGE WEAR.

I always thought it was a shame they never completed it with Scots and Irish Guards pipers and the Queen's Drummer + wolfhound.

And of course, having skipped the "SLR era" you can now trim the rifles to become SA80s.
First....git (I think?).

Secondly, I'm rather hoping the rifle will pass for something a bit earlier than the SLR.
User avatar
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam
Posts: 9129
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:32 pm
Location: The wilds of Surrey

Re: Airfix 1/76 Guards Colour Party

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Well, given their year of original release, it should (just) be an SMLE. The SLR required a revised drill from the SMLE, mostly being carried at the "Order Arms" position, but the good old "Slo-hopah, Haaaams!" came back into fashion with the SA80.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
User avatar
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam
Posts: 6423
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:22 pm
Location: South Essex
Contact:

Re: Airfix 1/76 Guards Colour Party

Post by Essex Boy »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:51 pm Well, given their year of original release, it should (just) be an SMLE. The SLR required a revised drill from the SMLE, mostly being carried at the "Order Arms" position, but the good old "Slo-hopah, Haaaams!" came back into fashion with the SA80.
Blimey! I'm older than I thought.

Thanks for that.
User avatar
Paul
Grizzly Madam
Posts: 4521
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:39 pm

Re: Airfix 1/76 Guards Colour Party

Post by Paul »

Essex Boy wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:40 pm Secondly, I'm rather hoping the rifle will pass for something a bit earlier than the SLR.
Having looked carefully at a couple of photos of the set I can definitively say that the sculpting looks very much like a Mk1 Stick. The designers weren't really tied by any adherence to detail.
User avatar
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam
Posts: 6423
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:22 pm
Location: South Essex
Contact:

Re: Airfix 1/76 Guards Colour Party

Post by Essex Boy »

Paul wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:34 am
Essex Boy wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:40 pm Secondly, I'm rather hoping the rifle will pass for something a bit earlier than the SLR.
Having looked carefully at a couple of photos of the set I can definitively say that the sculpting looks very much like a Mk1 Stick. The designers weren't really tied by any adherence to detail.
:clappy:

Huzzah! That's my kind of historical accuracy.
Post Reply