HMS Priapus' Flying Bridge

For your gaming pictures & links.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Re: HMS Priapus' Flying Bridge

Post by Jeremy »

The difference is that in Europe, thatch roofs are made with something closer to straw, where in Africa, they’re made with wild grass, which is actually more like a perfectly straight thin twig, maybe 2mm across. It’s flexible when fresh, but when dry, becomes quite hard. Queue suitable dirty jokes.
Purple
Grizzly Madam

Post by Purple »

They are cute and excellent.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Jeremy wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:01 am Very nice! Not a criticism (well maybe constructive criticism! :o ) but the tendency to make thatch roofs light brown/cream on African buildings is incorrect - it’s a European interpretation. The reality is, it actually goes dark grey-brown within a few weeks due to the type of grass used and the African sun.

Even the above one is quite light. They go a bit darker
Aged thatch goes a mid-darkish grey in the UK as well within a couple of years at most. The exact colour depends on environmental factors as well as the material used and how tightly packed it is.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

Interesting. We only use one material for thatch in SA
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Jeremy wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:56 am The difference is that in Europe, thatch roofs are made with something closer to straw, where in Africa, they’re made with wild grass, which is actually more like a perfectly straight thin twig, maybe 2mm across. It’s flexible when fresh, but when dry, becomes quite hard. Queue suitable dirty jokes.
Most decent UK thatch is 'Norfolk' Reed, not straw. But either age to a silver or darker grey anyway.

We do use straw as well (Wheatstraw and Longstraw) but it only lasts about half as long as Norfolk Reeds 60 years. Interestingly some UK thatchers are out there who use Veldt grass too.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Obviously Priaps buildings are newly painted so the thatch is nice and fresh and new too :)
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

Where does the UK source their veld grass Paul? I assume that’s what we use in SA, it’s certainly what it’s called.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Jeremy wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:19 pm Where does the UK source their veld grass Paul? I assume that’s what we use in SA, it’s certainly what it’s called.
I think it's from SA certainly southern Africa. Certainly not that common in th UK and mainly used on recreational buildings IIRC. (Although that info might be out of date as most of my knowledge on thatching comes from my great-uncle who was a hurdle maker and occasional thatcher, and he died about twenty-five years ago!)
HMS Priapus
PurpleBot

Post by HMS Priapus »

Paul wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:56 pm Obviously Priaps buildings are newly painted so the thatch is nice and fresh and new too :)
Exactly. With each game I'll be aging section of the roof. After while, the village will look lived in.

HMS Priapus
PurpleBot

Post by HMS Priapus »

Now I jut need to dress the rocks bit more to get this kind of effect, should I choose to superdetail before we game. Will have to break out my pigments.