LAW 2020 Painting Challenge

For your Wargames Wittering
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Re: LAW 2020 Painting Challenge

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Sorry, Mark, I got sidetracked - lovely buildings. Commercial, home-made, or both?
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:43 am Sorry, Mark, I got sidetracked - lovely buildings. Commercial, home-made, or both?
They're all by Total Battle Miniatures (TBM), which was an unknown name to me, but a mate pointed out that they did an Essling(ish) Granary. They're quite clever in that all buildings have a footprint of exactly 50mm square or 50x100mm, so they fit perfectly into the recesses on their rubber village tiles. The height-scale is exaggerated compared to the footprint, so they look a lot bigger than their footprint. The Essling Granary (which I will paint soon) is only 50x100mm, but oddly looks a lot bigger (if it were in scale with the figures it would be A LOT bigger).
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

RMD wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:05 pm The Essling Granary (which I will paint soon) is only 50x100mm, but oddly looks a lot bigger (if it were in scale with the figures it would be A LOT bigger).
Yes, I think that somebody over on LAF made a "to-scale" one (also for 15mm?) and it was HUUUUUGE!

I have to say that I'm not a fan of "shrinking" buildings to a scale smaller than that of the figures, as the doors and windows just don't look right when the figures are next to them. It looks like your army is attacking The Shire.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:18 pm
RMD wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:05 pm The Essling Granary (which I will paint soon) is only 50x100mm, but oddly looks a lot bigger (if it were in scale with the figures it would be A LOT bigger).
Yes, I think that somebody over on LAF made a "to-scale" one (also for 15mm?) and it was HUUUUUGE!

I have to say that I'm not a fan of "shrinking" buildings to a scale smaller than that of the figures, as the doors and windows just don't look right when the figures are next to them. It looks like your army is attacking The Shire.
I tend to agree, but at the same time if you have a 1:1 model of La Haye Sainte or Essling Granary it'll fill half the table.
Clever modelling can offset that - chiefly 'adjusting' the design so that doors and windows suit the figures. Tiger Terrain are the best exponents of that approach:

valleyboy
Jezebel

Post by valleyboy »

Lovely buildings Mark
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

I only painted 28mm this year. 236 infantry, 54 cavalry, 2 elephants and 6 significant terrain builds. Happy with that
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

Some more 15/18mm Seven Years War: Namely the Prussian 40th 'Kreytzen' Fusilier Regiment and the Imperial Artillery Reserve. That's a total of 36 figures and 3 guns, for 126 points, bringing my grand total to 3,528.

grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

Hah! The same uniform worn by the crew of HMS Pansy during our last dustup with the dastardly hun.
Peeler
Grizzly Madam

Post by Peeler »

Ooh, very nice.