Von Imhoff Brunswick infantry regiment 2nd battalion.

For your gaming pictures & links.
Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor

Von Imhoff Brunswick infantry regiment 2nd battalion.

Post by Willz the Wargamer »

Finished the 2nd battalion today, using more Spencer Smith's hard plastic figures.
Flags made by me from Kronoskaf.

Both battalions together.

Willz.
RMD
Grizzly Madam

Re: Von Imhoff Brunswick infantry regiment 2nd battalion.

Post by RMD »

Nice! I only just posted my own Imhoff Regiment on the blog this week: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2024/10/08/ ... nswickers/

I seem to have piqued David's interest in doing the pre-Prussified Brunswick flags (which MAY have been carried during the SYW, according to Christian Rogge in his blog-post here: https://crogges7ywarmies.blogspot.com/2 ... antry.html ), so he may well post those on Not By Appointment soon.
Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor

Post by Willz the Wargamer »

Cheers for your kind comments Mark and for the information on the Von Imhoff.

Willz.
Spanner
Gaynor

Post by Spanner »

Very nice to see the complete regiment, Willz. Well done.
RMD wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 5:10 pm Nice! I only just posted my own Imhoff Regiment on the blog this week: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2024/10/08/ ... nswickers/
And yours too, Mark. Imhoff was not on my to do list as well, except as part of a grenadier battalion (let's face it, there's not much choice with only four regiments in the army).
RMD wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 5:10 pm I seem to have piqued David's interest in doing the pre-Prussified Brunswick flags .
Excellent. Even if the changes were ordered in 1754, it takes some time and money to get the new flags painted, nailed to the pikes and then presented to the regiments. Ortenburg (I have electronic copies of both his articles, if you gentlemen want them) can only produce examples from 1776, and Charles 1 was not exactly rich, so the new designs may have been left for later, "when we have the cash". You could even have a mix, with one regiment or battalion using the old design, another the new, as with the Prussian cavalry.
If "The System" is the answer, who asked such a bloody stupid question?
Panzer21
First Base

Post by Panzer21 »

That's a bit of a production line you have there Willz.....
Neil
DavidNBA
Loose Virgin

Post by DavidNBA »

Spanner wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 9:53 pm Very nice to see the complete regiment, Willz. Well done.
RMD wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 5:10 pm Nice! I only just posted my own Imhoff Regiment on the blog this week: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2024/10/08/ ... nswickers/
And yours too, Mark. Imhoff was not on my to do list as well, except as part of a grenadier battalion (let's face it, there's not much choice with only four regiments in the army).
RMD wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 5:10 pm I seem to have piqued David's interest in doing the pre-Prussified Brunswick flags .
Excellent. Even if the changes were ordered in 1754, it takes some time and money to get the new flags painted, nailed to the pikes and then presented to the regiments. Ortenburg (I have electronic copies of both his articles, if you gentlemen want them) can only produce examples from 1776, and Charles 1 was not exactly rich, so the new designs may have been left for later, "when we have the cash". You could even have a mix, with one regiment or battalion using the old design, another the new, as with the Prussian cavalry.
Nice unit. :-) Yes, indeed, I am interested in doing the earlier flags. One major problem, though, is working out what colours the flags should be - the Ortenburg articles do not specify in detail, unfortunately, although they do show images of 2 sets of flags for the period 1735-1754. Any ideas, please? Or do I need to make it up as I go along? (It would not be the first time... ;-))

Christian Rogge suggests in his blog post:
Leib Regiment - Blue
von Behr - Red
von Imhoff - Green
von Zastrow - Yellow
Thoughts?
My (mostly 18th century) flag and template blog: https://nba-sywtemplates.blogspot.com/
RMD
Grizzly Madam

Post by RMD »

DavidNBA wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 2:28 pm
Spanner wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 9:53 pm Very nice to see the complete regiment, Willz. Well done.
Nice unit. :-) Yes, indeed, I am interested in doing the earlier flags. One major problem, though, is working out what colours the flags should be - the Ortenburg articles do not specify in detail, unfortunately, although they do show images of 2 sets of flags for the period 1735-1754. Any ideas, please? Or do I need to make it up as I go along? (It would not be the first time... ;-))

Leib Regiment - Blue
von Behr - Red
von Imhoff - Green
von Zastrow - Yellow
Thoughts?
Yeah, I'd go with that. It basically matches the colours of the later flags.

I was also wondering if all flags had the double-C cypher on the obverse and horse on the reverse, as shown in Rogge's pic, or did the Leibfahne have the C cypher on both sides and the Kompaniefahnen have the horse on both sides...?
DavidNBA
Loose Virgin

Post by DavidNBA »

RMD wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:52 pm
DavidNBA wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 2:28 pm

Leib Regiment - Blue
von Behr - Red
von Imhoff - Green
von Zastrow - Yellow
Thoughts?
Yeah, I'd go with that. It basically matches the colours of the later flags.

I was also wondering if all flags had the double-C cypher on the obverse and horse on the reverse, as shown in Rogge's pic, or did the Leibfahne have the C cypher on both sides and the Kompaniefahnen have the horse on both sides...?
Thanks. I wondered that about the flags too; the two flag sets shown in the Ortenburg article suggest the former, I think. Hopefully Dal will chip in with his view on these flags too.
My (mostly 18th century) flag and template blog: https://nba-sywtemplates.blogspot.com/
Spanner
Gaynor

Post by Spanner »

DavidNBA wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 8:54 pm Hopefully Dal will chip in with his view on these flags too.
Sorry, David, but I'm not much help with the Brunswickers. I have Ortenburg's articles on the army and the one on the flags. All I can do is confirm that the flags issued under Duke Carl 1 were all one design- capped monogram on the obverse and the Hannoverian horse on the reverse. Each battalion had a white Leibfahne and four coloured Regimentsfahnen. The Regimentsfahnen are not facings coloured, as Ortenburg shows Stammer/Behr/Mansburg with yellow flags, not red as per their facings, and Zastrow/Pr. Friedrich with blue flags, and the regiment's facings were yellow.

Where do the "double escutcheon" flags fit in? Were they a proposed design that was never issued? Did Carl decide he wanted flags that were not so much like his dad's, before going neo-Prussian? Or were they Carl II's design (later 19thC)?

So much for Germans being obsessive about keeping records.....
Attachments
zB_Gr_Behr_REGTa.jpg
zB_Gr_Behr_REGTa.jpg (22.22 KiB) Viewed 11 times
If "The System" is the answer, who asked such a bloody stupid question?