AWI Hessian Grenadiers (28mm)

For your gaming pictures & links.
RMD
Grizzly Madam

AWI Hessian Grenadiers (28mm)

Post by RMD »

I've been digging out my old 28mm AWI collection (after a gap of some 12+ years) for some games at the Carmarthen Old Guard and thought I may as well take some photos of the troops, so here's von Donop's Hessian Grenadier Brigade (a lot more on the blog):

http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2022/09/28/ ... renadiers/

Spanner
Gaynor

Re: AWI Hessian Grenadiers (28mm)

Post by Spanner »

Impressive looking units, RMD. Combined grenadier battalions always look good, don't they?
If "The System" is the answer, who asked such a bloody stupid question?
RMD
Grizzly Madam

Post by RMD »

Cheers! Yeah, they are fun to do.

Something I was wondering was why the Hessians, having adopted a Prussian-style two-battalion regiment structure and a two-regiment grenadier battalion structure during the SYW, reverted back to single-battalion regiments and four-regiment grenadier battalions?

The Baron will probably know the answer...
Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor

Post by Willz the Wargamer »

They are very nice looking chaps, nicely painted.

Willz.
RMD
Grizzly Madam

Post by RMD »

Willz the Wargamer wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:18 pm They are very nice looking chaps, nicely painted.

Willz.
Cheers Willz! Yeah, it makes a change from all those SYW Prussians... ;)
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

Very pretty.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

RMD wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:58 pm Something I was wondering was why the Hessians, having adopted a Prussian-style two-battalion regiment structure and a two-regiment grenadier battalion structure during the SYW, reverted back to single-battalion regiments and four-regiment grenadier battalions?

I believe it was done in conjunction with the treaty to supply the contingent for America, but beyond that, I am afraid that I don't know as to why. It may have had something to do with creating individual battalions that could be posted anywhere in N America without disrupting the regimental system - and ditto the Grenadiers.

The Garde still followed the Prussian model, being a three-battalion regiment, with the 1st Battalion being a bit different from the other two - again, I regret that I have no more details. The Grenadier companies of the 2nd & 3rd Battalions were sent to America as part of the Grenadier Battalion von Linsing.

If I find anything more I shall post it, but I rather suspect that if the reason was at all well known, I would have seen it by now.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
valleyboy
Jezebel

Post by valleyboy »

Love the look of those
RMD
Grizzly Madam

Post by RMD »

Thanks fellas! :)
RMD
Grizzly Madam

Post by RMD »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:46 pm
RMD wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:58 pm Something I was wondering was why the Hessians, having adopted a Prussian-style two-battalion regiment structure and a two-regiment grenadier battalion structure during the SYW, reverted back to single-battalion regiments and four-regiment grenadier battalions?

I believe it was done in conjunction with the treaty to supply the contingent for America, but beyond that, I am afraid that I don't know as to why. It may have had something to do with creating individual battalions that could be posted anywhere in N America without disrupting the regimental system - and ditto the Grenadiers.

The Garde still followed the Prussian model, being a three-battalion regiment, with the 1st Battalion being a bit different from the other two - again, I regret that I have no more details. The Grenadier companies of the 2nd & 3rd Battalions were sent to America as part of the Grenadier Battalion von Linsing.

If I find anything more I shall post it, but I rather suspect that if the reason was at all well known, I would have seen it by now.
I did wonder if it was a contingency, perhaps adopting some of the British practice, in sending a battalion abroad and perhaps then raising a 2nd battalion at home? I've no idea if they did keep a 2nd battalion at home though...

It may simply have been a reversion to the pre-1760 organisation of single-battalion regiments. Ferdinand of Brunswick did say that the new 1760 two-battalion system was pointless, as each battalion was only half as strong as the old battalions (only the grenadiers were actually increased in strength).